Codes and Frequencies
WELLKNW reports whether a well-known person is present with the respondent during the activity.
Users who want more details about other presence may refer to INFANT, CHILD, HHADULT, ANIMAL, SPPART, OTHERP, SHOPROF, COWORK, CLSFAM, and UNKNWP. The relationship between who variables is documented here.
WELLKNW is only available if you select a hierarchical extract. If you request a hierarchical extract and plan to construct time use variables in your statistics package, this variable may be useful to you.
WELLKNW was created differently in some years. Users should take that into account in their analyses. This comparability documentation is adapted from the Oxford Harmonization files.
- 1965-66: If the respondents said they were with relatives and friends outside the household, with neighbors and their children or if CLSFAM, HHADULT, COWORK is present, this variable is coded as 1. Further, during activities related to care giving to adults, visiting friends, attending a party or reception, or attending society games, WELLKNW is present.
- 1975-76: If CLSFAM, HHADULT, or COWORK is present or if the respondent reports the presence of relatives, friends, and guests outside the household or neighbors and their children, this variable is coded as 1. Also, during activities related to medical care or non-medical care to household adults, helping household adults, helping neighbors/friends, care for unspecified adults, visiting with others, attending parties/receptions, having face-to-face conversations, conversing with household members, or when reporting the activities of others, WELLKNW also takes the value of 1.
- 1993-94: If the respondent is engaged in activities including helping and caring for others, volunteering, visiting socially, attending parties, or going to the bars, this is coded as 1.
- 1994-95: This variable is coded as 1 if the respondent is engaged in the following activities: medical care, helping others, volunteering, visiting socially, or attending parties.
- 1998-01: If the respondents report being with a spouse only, child(ren) only, with both a spouse and child(ren), coworkers, friends, or with relatives in the "who with" variables, this is coded as 1.
- 2003-present: If the respondents report the presence of a spouse, unmarried partner, own household child, grandchild, parent, brother/sister, other related person, foster child, housemate, roomer/boarder, other non-relative, own non-household child, non-household parents, other non-household children and adults, friends, or neighbors/acquaintances in the "who with" variable, WELLKNW takes the value of 1.
- All activities.
- 1965, 1975, 1993, 1995, 1998, 2003-2012, 2018