Codes and Frequencies
SHOPROF reports whether a shop, service or professional staff is present with the respondent during the activity.
Users who want more details about other presence may refer to SPPART, CHILD, INFANT, HHADULT, CLSFAM, ANIMAL, WELLKNW, COWORK, OTHERP, and UNKNWP. The relationship between who variables is documented here.
SHOPROF is only available if you select a hierarchical extract. If you request a hierarchical extract and plan to construct time use variables in your statistics package, this variable may be useful to you.
SHOPROF was created differently in some years. Users should take that into account in their analyses. This comparability documentation is adapted from the Oxford Harmonization files.
- 1965-66: If administrative personnel are present in the "who with" variables and the respondent is engaged in activities relating to shopping, outside personal care, outside medical care, administrative services, repair services, other services, attending school, professional training, attending special lectures, entertainment, movies, theatre, exhibitions, or café/bar, then this variable is coded as 1.
- 1975-76: If administrative personnel are present in the "who with" variables and the respondent is engaged in activities relating to shopping for food or other type of shopping outside the home, then this variables is coded as 1. Further, if the respondent reports activities relating to shopping for appliances, purchasing/renting housing, personal care services, doctor visits, financial services, governmental services, auto repair, clothes cleaning services, appliances repair, household repair, other services, attending sporting events, movies, theatre, exhibitions, bar/cocktail lounge or other public events, then this variable also takes a value of 1.
- 1985: This variable is coded as 1 if the respondent is engaged in the following activities: being tutored, daycare/nursery before or after school, other education, time in library, computer games, other computer use, shopping for durable goods, house/apartment purchasing or renting, phone services, medical care, auto services, clothes repair/cleaning services, household repair services, financial services, government services, professional services, other services, attending sports events, going to miscellaneous spectacles, movies, theatre, exhibitions, going to the bar/nightclub, lessons in sports activities, lessons in gymnastics/dance, coaching/leading outdoor activities. Further if the respondent is outside the home and grocery shopping or shopping for other goods, this variable is also coded as 1.
- 1993-94: If the respondent is not at home and engaged in activities relating to dry cleaning, shopping for clothes/household items, or personal care services, this variable is coded as 1. Further, during activities relating to medical appointments, government/financial services, car repair, other repair services, attending sports events, entertainment, movies/videos, theatre, museums, or going to the bar/lounge, then this variable also takes the value of 1.
- 1994-95: If the respondent is not at home and engaged in activities relating to purchasing goods, personal services, medical services, financial services, car services, other repairs, or purchasing other consumer goods, this variable is coded as 1. Further, during activities relating to volunteering, travel associated with volunteering, attending sports events, other public events, movies/videos, theatre, museums, or going to the bar/lounge, then SHOPROF is also present.
- 1998-01: If the respondent is in a grocery store, other store/mall, at school, or in a restaurant, further reports the presence of strangers/crowd in the "who with" variables and is engaged in the following activities, this variable is coded as 1. Those activities are related to purchasing/repair services, financial/governmental services, purchasing other services, caring for infants, general care of older children, medical care of children, playing with children, supervising/helping with homework, reading to children, attending sporting events or going to the cinema this also takes the value of 1.
- 2003-present: During activities relating to meetings, banking, other financial services, legal services, medical services, personal care services, real estate selling/purchasing, veterinary services, security procedures related to professional or personal services, cleaning services, clothing repair services, lawn/garden services, car repair services, government services, or security procedures related to civic obligations this variables is coded as 1. Further, if the respondent is eating/drinking in a restaurant/café/bar, waiting for eating/drinking, attending performing arts, museums, movies, gambling establishments, including security procedures related to entertainment or sports/exercising or sporting events, this variables also takes the value of 1. If the respondent is outside his/her home and grocery shopping, purchasing food, other type of shopping, or using meal preparation services, SHOPROF is also present.
- All activities .
- 1965, 1975, 1985, 1993, 1995, 1998, 2003-2012, 2018