Codes and Frequencies
ANIMAL reports whether there is a domestic animal present with the respondent during the activity.
Users who want more details about other presence may refer to INFANT, CHILD, HHADULT, SPPART, OTHERP, SHOPROF, COWORK, CLSFAM, WELLKNW, and UNKNWP. The relationship between who variables is documented here.
ANIMAL is only available if you select a hierarchical extract. If you request a hierarchical extract and plan to construct time use variables in your statistics package, this variable may be useful to you.
ANIMAL was created differently in some years. Users should take that into account in their analyses. This comparability documentation is adapted from the Oxford Harmonization files.
- 1965-66: If the respondent is engaged in gardening/animal care activities right after night sleep or if the prior activity is preparation of food or meal cleanup followed by animal care activities, then this variable is coded as 1. If the person is outside or engaged in activities relating to preparing food, meal cleanup, cleaning house, snacking, taking walks, ladies' work, watching television, reading the paper, writing letters, and doing animal care, ANIMAL is also present.
- 1975-76, 1985: If the respondent is engaged in activities relating to care of pets, horseback riding, or care for livestock/animals, this variable is coded as 1.
- 1993-94, 1994-95, 1998-01: If the activity is pet care, this variable takes a value of 1.
- 2003-present: If the activity is non-veterinary care for pets and animals, other type of pet care, veterinary care, waiting associated with veterinary care, using pet services, equestrian sports, or rodeo competitions; this variable is coded as 1.
- All activities.
- 1965, 1975, 1985, 1993, 1995, 1998, 2003-2012, 2018