Codes and Frequencies
COWORK reports whether a co-worker or co-volunteer is present during the activity.
Users who want more details about other presence may refer to INFANT, CHILD, HHADULT, ANIMAL, SPPART, OTHERP, SHOPROF, CLSFAM, WELLKNW, and UNKNWP. The relationship between who variables is documented here.
COWORK is only available if you select a hierarchical extract. If you request a hierarchical extract and plan to construct time use variables in your statistics package, this variable may be useful to you. Alternatively, you may use COWORK to construct a time use variable as part of this system.
COWORK was created differently in some years. Users should take that into account in their analyses. This comparability documentation is adapted from the Oxford Harmonization files.
- 1965-66: If the respondents said they were with coworkers or members of an organization in the "who with" variables, this variable is coded as 1. Further, if the respondent is with others and location is the workplace or if the activity engaged in is related to participation in committees, then COWORK is also present.
- 1975-76: If the respondents reported the presence of coworkers or members of an organization in the "who with" variables during an activity, COWORK is coded as 1.
- 1998-01: If the respondents report the presence of coworkers in the "who with" variables, COWORK is coded as 1.
- 2003-present: If the respondents report the presence of a boss or manager, people whom they supervise, co-workers, or customers, this variable takes the value of 1.
- All activities.
- 1965, 1975, 1998, 2003-2012