Codes and Frequencies
INFANT reports whether a child under 5 years old was present during the activity.
Users interested in the presence of older children as well may refer to CHILD. Users who want more details about other presence may refer to HHADULT, ANIMAL, SPPART, OTHERP, SHOPROF, COWORK, WELLKNW, and UNKNWP. The relationship between who variables is documented here.
INFANT is only available if you select a hierarchical extract. If you request a hierarchical extract and plan to construct time use variables in your statistics package, this variable may be useful to you. Alternatively, you may use INFANT to construct a time use variable as part of this system.
INFANT was created differently in some years. Users should take that into account in their analyses. This comparability documentation is adapted from the Oxford Harmonization files.
- 1965-66: If the main or secondary activity is care for babies, INFANT takes the value of 1.
- 1975-76: During primary and secondary activities relating to care for babies aged under 5 years old and care for children of mixed ages this variable is coded as 1.
- 1985: If the main or secondary activity is care to children age 4 and under, care for children of mixed ages, or playing with household babies aged 0-2, the INFANT is coded as 1.
- 1993-94 and 1994-95: During activities relating to baby care, this variable is coded as 1.
- 2003-present: Individuals who are less than 5 years old and not a spouse or unmarried partner are coded as INFANT.
- All activities.
- 1965, 1975, 1985, 1993, 1995, 2003-2012, 2018